Update day: 07-12-2023
Are youinterested in energy system optimisation and looking for a postdoctoral opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you. If you are an international talent searching for a new opportunity, read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocationhere!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2200 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploringVTT’s tech & infra.
We are now looking for Postdoctoral Researcher to join our Design and Operation of Energy System research team!
VTT started 2023 a Postdoc programme to develop new ways to support scientific excellence and to strengthen career paths from universities to VTT. We want to provide development opportunities for recent university PhDs in applied research and industry collaboration. As a Postdoctoral Researcher at VTT, you will have the opportunity to focus on scientific work (e.g. publishing, and mentoring junior researchers), and you are able to make an impact on our customers and society. Our researchers work closely together with industry, often in interdisciplinary research groups. VTT has excellent research infrastructure and internal services to support your research work.
In this Postdoctoral Researcher position, you will have an essential role in developing our existing open-source energy system model towards better integration of Finland’s and Europe’s decarbonisation and energy security target.Our team, the Design and Operation of Energy System research team, works on operational and planning optimisation models, and tools development. Their main purpose is to advance cross-sector integration of the energy system, supporting industries and public entities for investments or policy making, plan multi-energy network expansion and analyse the energy transition. The team also strongly emphasizes the sustainable development goals and supports developing countries in establishing their energy transition plans.The role is fixed-term of approximately 2 years, lasting until 30th of June 2026.
Read more about our research:
- You can read more about our research here
- Explore our open-source tools here
- Watch videos of some of our tools here
Your responsibilities as Postdoctoral Researcher:
- Advancing the energy transition in specified projects
- Lead model development in collaboration with VTT teams and international collaborators.
- Perform scenario simulation and analyses including data processing.
- Collaborating in research team and project group with co-writing and project work
- Participating actively in dissemination with journal publications, conferences, and take science to the general public.
- Supervising or tutoring junior team members
Who we are looking for:
- You have recently (max 5 years ago) gained your doctoral degree in energy/power system, applied mathematics or environmental engineering, or a closely related field.
- You have experience in energy system research field and knowledge of mathematical modelling.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Strong knowledge for modelling and programming in at least one of the following: Julia (incl. JUMP), GAMS, python.
- Knowledge of SQL database, GIS and LCA is highly appreciated.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- An open-minded and innovative person with a vision of longer-term research needs.
- You are eager to work with new topics and methods, even out of your comfort zone to achieve the set ambitious goals.
- Independence in conducting research.
- Willingness to integrate into an international team that works in a hybrid mode.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Science with an impact. At VTT, we seek to solve large societal challenges and drive a sustainable future through applied research and innovation. With us, you’ll get to work on research projects that make a concrete, positive impact in the world. Read more about our strategy, the path of exponential hope, and our organisational culture as the builder of the world’s most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your postdoc research. During your postdoctoral term, we offer training in project management, scientific writing, communication, and commercialisation. You’ll have the opportunity collaborate with industry on projects, access our research infrastructure and internal support services, explore interdisciplinary research, and secure funding for your postdoc term. At VTT, you’ll enjoy flexibility and independence in your work, with a blend of academic research and engaging customer projects for an exciting career path.
- Open culture of innovation. We have 80 years of experience in science-based innovation, a strong international reputation and global networks. We work truly across disciplines, and house all the cutting-edge sciences from quantum computing to synthetic biology under one roof. At VTT, you’ll join a community of over 2200 multidisciplinary experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing knowledge. Collaborating with amazing colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Nordic work–life balance. Working in Finland, the happiest country in the world, enables a great quality of life. At VTT, we make our people’s well-being a strategic priority. We offer 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and our benefits include extended occupational healthcare, and a range well-being services, such as exercise and culture benefits and hobby clubs. Read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocation.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 26th of November 2023.We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate. A security clearance procedure may be conducted during the recruitment process.
Interested and want to know more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Jean-Nicolas Louis, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358503004344 on 13/11 from 10-11 EET or 23/11 from 13-14 EET.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location:Espoo, Tampere, or Oulu (Finland)
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 23-12-2023🌏 Espoo, Uusimaa
⏰ 05-01-2024🌏 Helsinki, Uusimaa
⏰ 21-01-2024🌏 Espoo, Uusimaa
⏰ 20-12-2023🌏 Uusimaa
⏰ 30-12-2023🌏 Helsinki, Uusimaa
⏰ 20-12-2023🌏 Vantaa, Uusimaa
⏰ 22-12-2023🌏 Helsinki, Uusimaa
⏰ 21-01-2024🌏 Espoo, Uusimaa
⏰ 18-12-2023🌏 Uusimaa
⏰ 25-12-2023🌏 Helsinki, Uusimaa