Update day: 15-02-2024
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher position on the Kuopio Campus. The position will be filled for a fixed term from 1 March 2023 (or as agreed) to 31 August 2026. Please find more information below and submit your applicationno later than 13 February 2023.
Role and salary
We are seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to join the A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences at the Faculty of Health Sciences in Kuopio, Finland. In this role, you will have the opportunity to conduct technical research in the field of neuroscience, specifically by developing and applying computational neuroimaging (MRI) analysis methods to projects primarily focusing on neurodegenerative diseases. The appointee will work closely with Academy Research Fellow Dogu Baran Aydogan and Prof. Jussi Tohka.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing computational methods for connectivity and microstructure analysis with the aim of achieving technical objectives, such as predicting disease progression or developing biomarkers
- Developing image processing and data analysis pipelines, especially for diffusion MRI and tractography, to study large datasets such as ADNI
- Authoring high-quality scientific papers and contributing to the preparation of research projects.
We welcome candidates with an interest in multimodal data (e.g., multimodal imaging, EEG, genetics, behaviour) and a strong desire to take an integrative approach to understanding the brain and its disorders.
The research is expected to contribute to collaboration with scientists from different research groups in UEF’s Neuroscience Research Community (NeuroRC, see https://www.uef.fi/en/research-community/neuroscience-neuro). The
international UEFRAE2019 evaluation panel assessed NeuroRC to be of outstanding quality in an international comparison (score 6/6). The research of the A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences is based on the Ageing, Lifestyles and Health profile area in the university’s strategy. Please see https://www.uef.fi/en/strategy-2030.
The A. I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences is a research institute housing an international staff of 150 full-time scientists. It is part of the Faculty of Health Sciences and focuses on biomedical research on neurological and cardiovascular diseases (see https://www.uef.fi/en/unit/ai-virtanen-institute-for-molecular-sciences).
The position will be filled from 1 March 2023 (or as agreed) until 31 August 2026. The position is fixed-term due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the Finnish universities’ salary system. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. Depending on the candidate, the job requirement component will be determined based either on level 5 or level 6 of the scheme for teaching and research staff. In this position, the job requirement component is €3044.00 per month on level 5 and €3549.72 per month on level 6. The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6% and a maximum of 50% of the above-mentioned sums. The estimated salary at the beginning of the employment will be in the range of €3348 – 3866 per month on level 5, and €3905 – 4508 per month on level 6.
Our requirements and expectations
- A doctoral degree in a relevant discipline
- Excellent scientific communication skills in English, both in terms of writing scientific papers and presenting research work
- Hands-on experience in data analysis and method development (machine learning, complex networks, image/signal analysis) for neuroscientific applications
- Strong programming and computational skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Experience in collaborating with multi-disciplinary academic research groups, hospitals, and industrial partners
- Experience in managing research projects and teams, practical experience from top-level international research institutes, and previous experience in neuroscience are considered to be assets
- Previous experience in the supervision of PhD and MSc students and a successful track record of acquiring external funding are beneficial but not mandatory.
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
- opportunity for flexible multi-location work
- extensive occupational health care
- broad selection of staff training
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services
- affordable sports services and tax-free bike benefit
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an important role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 13 February 2023 (by 24:00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application
- CV. Please provide the contact information of at least two references in your CV. (https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- a list of publications. Please mark the ten most important publications that are relevant to the position. (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- A motivational letter (max. 1 page)
- A summary (max. 3 pages, including references) of your previous scientific merits and research activities, including research collaboration (to be attached as ’Scientific merits and research work’).
For further information on the position, please contact Academy Research Fellow Dogu Baran Aydogan, +358 50 473 8759, email@example.com
For further information on the application procedure, please contact Tarja Salmi, +358 29 445 8220, firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Eastern Finland and the Facualty of Health Sciences
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We have a staff of 3,200 members, and our academic community comprises around 16,000 degree students. Our campuses are located in Joensuu and in Kuopio. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all. To learn more about our university please visit our website at www.uef.fi/en. On our website, you’ll also find information about the university as a work community and as an employer (https://www.uef.fi/en/article/one-university-a-thousand-stories), as well as our employees’ career stories (https://www.uef.fi/en/career-stories).
The Faculty of Health Sciences operates at theKuopio Campusof the University of Eastern Finland. The Faculty offerseducation in medicine, dentistry, nutrition and pharmacy, as well as in some other central fields of the health care sector. The Faculty is research-intensive, and its internationally recognised research activities are closely linked to the strategic research areas of the University. There are approximately 3 090 degree students and about 580 PhD students in the Faculty. The faculty has 800 staff members.http://www.uef.fi/en/ttdk/etusivu
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 16-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 22-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 16-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 20-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 12-03-2024🌏 Vieremä, Northern Savonia
⏰ 23-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 17-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 10-03-2024🌏 Varkaus, Northern Savonia
⏰ 25-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia
⏰ 20-03-2024🌏 Kuopio, Northern Savonia